Updated: May 14
If you're planning to travel this summer, I highly recommend you consider a Bed & Breakfast Inn.
Why? My husband Steve and I have stayed in nearly 70 inns in 17 U.S. states since 1987 and we love it, and we think you will enjoy this style of travel too if you:
1. Like historic and architecturally-unique homes and buildings.
2. Prefer smaller and quieter lodging instead of large bustling resorts or hotels.
3. Are longing for a romantic getaway or to celebrate your anniversary in a beautiful, and usually quieter, place. Inns will often give you a special treat if you let them know it's your anniversary.
4. Are not planning on taking your young children with you. Some inns welcome children, but some do not allow kids or have a minimum age restriction.
5. Want to get married or spend your honeymoon in a quiet, romantic, beautiful place. Some inns host weddings and allow/require you to rent the whole inn for your wedding. Be sure to ask when you book if there's a wedding as you might be the only guests who are not part of the fun, and it could be nosier that night too.
6. Prefer a "one price for everything" mode of lodging as often breakfast, afternoon wine & cheese, sodas and coffee and tea, free parking, and free wifi are included in the price. When you add it all up, inns are a great value in our travel book! Sometimes they give discounts for multiple-night or repeat stays too.
7. Want to get great decorating ideas so you can turn your own bedroom at home into a "bed and breakfast inn!" How we did this with our home(s) bedrooms.
8. Enjoy a delicious hot homemade gourmet breakfast served with china, silver, etched glassware, and fresh flowers.
9. Like a "sitting room" style lobby with books, classical music, and binders of places to visit in your area.
10. Love high thread count sheets, big fluffy comforters, old fashioned clawfoot tubs or oversized soaking tubs, or big walk-in showers. Bubblebath included!
11. Feel comfortable chatting with other guests over breakfast around a big table. Some inns serve this way but others have many smaller tables if you prefer it to be just the two of you at breakfast, and some inns offer room service, or breakfast on the porch or patio.
12. Like a lovely and safer outdoor setting in an historic neighborhood with beautiful manicured yards and gardens and/or easy walking distance in a city.
13. Enjoy learning the history of the home or building as most inn owners love to tell you the tales of the history of their properties (and they are usually VERY interesting!)
14. Enjoy friendly and accommodating innkeepers and owners who have often traveled the world themselves so they are resourceful, generous, and kind in giving you good travel tips and offering personalized service.
15. Love to imagine you're "stepping back in time" to a more gracious era.
16. Love a mint on your pillow. (Raising hand here!)
17. You want to be pampered and feel like "rested royalty" for even just one day!
Those are just a few of the reasons my hubby Steve and I have both LOVED inn travel and here are some resources to get you started on finding just the right inn(s) for your next trip: